Friday, July 25, 2008

In The Thick of Things

Day two

Hi everyone! Eileen and I have made it safely to Phnom Pehn. The trip to get here was long and really hard. The flight from Vancouver to Hong Kong was the longest flight I've ever been on; 14 hours. Eileen had this grand idea that we shouldn't sleep until 6 hours into our long flight from Vancouver....we ditched that idea almost the moment we took off from Vancouver! We had almost an 8 hour stop over in Hong Kong and seeing how the airport is far from the city we stayed in the airport and people watched. We were exhausted after our long flight and ready to pass out. We found some red kidney shaped couches and slept for more then an hour until the airport "woke up". I woke up to tons of stares and weird, annoying airport anouncements! Everything is so funny. I think Shawna would be having a hay day!

When we landed in Phnom Pehn my excitement turned to complete discouragement. I was so scared that when we were in line for our VISA's my hands were shaking. Thank goodness Eileen was there. She calmed me down...and laughed at me! When we got to our apartment I was so overwhelmed. It is so ghetto! We're on the second floor and our apartment has one couch, a table with 4 chairs, a t.v., 2 massive beds with 5 pillows each! That's about it.

We went to sleep as soon as we made it to our apartment. I slept in Eileen's bed...I was scared...and Eileen didn't object. (I secretly think she was relieved as well!) Right as we were trying to fall asleep I heard this really freaky sound. It sounded like a lion or some wild animal was in the room. I stared with giant eyes at Eileen. She wasn't scared at all. I didn't understand. I probably would've jumped right on top of her but I didn't because she seemed fine. Eileen finally realized what was happening and after she had a good laugh she informed me that it was her stuffed animal "roaring"!! Oh man. I was very relieved after that that I was sleeping in her bed. Oh, and the only sleep walking so far included me turning off the aircon. half way through the night! No biggie. We're dealing.

Thank you for all your prayers. We need them especially these next few weeks. There is a National election happening on Sunday. Apparantly it is very unsafe for foreigners at this time. Please pray for wisdom and discernment.

Gotta run,
Berly-Kim

No comments: